13 Feb Tips To Improve Home Security
Providing a safe home for your family is one of the top concerns for homeowners. Before you shell out big bucks for a home security system make sure you are taking advantage of the low-tech and no-cost measures to make your home more secure. Keep your family and home safe by investing in these simple, inexpensive tips:
- Add Decals: Post security company signs or window decals near all doors and ground floor windows – whether you have a security system or not. Thieves like easy marks and these signs will ask as a deterrent.
- Home Automation Tricks: Adding either timers or smart light bulbs in street facing lighting fixtures let you control when they turn on and off while you are away. Another useful device to consider is smart curtains. Pro tip – make sure you put them on a random schedule to make it look like someone is always home.
- Landscape for Security: Not only does landscaping give your home curb appeal, but it can also help ward off uninvited guests. Adding thorny bushes under windows makes it less appealing to gain access to your home that way. Make sure trees and shrubs are keep trimmed near entryway increase sight line and remove hiding places.
- Light Things Up: Adding exterior motion sensor lights makes it difficult for a would-be crook to avoid being spotted.
- Add Smart Locks: Many times an intruder isn’t really event breaking in, they are taking advantage of an unlocked door. Smart locks automatically lock behind themselves and can typically be remotely accessed.
- Install Window Stops: These smart devices stop windows from being raised more than six inches – which is ideal for ventilation but not for crooks who are trying to break in.
- Get to know your neighbors: Your neighbors can be your best line of defense by looking out for you while you are away. They can also check your mail, take out/in your trash and recycling and pick up your newspaper.
Please reach out to one of our local mortgage planners at Fairway Independent Mortgage of the Carolinas if you need a recommendation for a trusted business partner who can provide you with a security assessment. We are truly interested in providing a mortgage experience that will set the stage for your financial future. Our goal each day is simple – help people do better in life. Let us change the way that you think about mortgages.